Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Survey says? well, actually it wasn't a survey...but a doc visit...

I haven't had a lot of positive things to write about lately... Honestly, its been a tough year with regards to running. Training for the Snickers Marathon went well until I started feeling some weirdness in my left leg. At first it wasn't in the shin. It was actually in my left hip. It caused a 15 mile training run in mid-November to be cut short at 12.5 miles. Then, in February I started having shin pains and figured it was just shin splints. If only knew then what I knew now about 'shin splints'. March was marathon time. I've shared in an earlier post about my marathon experience so I won't get into that. A successful marathon in that I crossed the finish line. A failure in that I was almost a full hour off my target time.

The last few months have been filled with highs and lows....mostly lows. Go to the doc and be told 'stop running...get this test...come back in 4 weeks....ok, you can start running again'.... only to have the pain come back in my left shin. This cycle seemed to happen on a monthly basis...almost like a lunar schedule or something.

Last month I decided to seek a 2nd opinion and learned something the first doctor didn't see or even check for. My left tibia is larger in diameter than my right. Why? Well, still not sure. I met with 3rd opinion doctor today whom the 2nd opinion doctor requested me to see. He ran through a laundry list of things that he thought could be wrong only to cross off items on the list one by one. Probably the most comforting items to be crossed off were the three types of cancer it could be. All three are not possible because, well, if I had them I wouldn't be with you anymore. So, those were ruled out. Another possible item not possible because it would involve me having TB which I do not have. All items on his list were struck....leaving no definitive diagnosis of my problem....except that my left tibia is almost a half inch in diameter bigger than my right.

The doc said 'go forth and conquer!' But, he followed his edict with 'CROSS TRAIN!' He said it again a few sentences later...'CROSS TRAIN!' Ok doc...gotcha...i should consider cross training. Then, it popped in my head...'hey....i could train for a triathalon!!!!' Silly thought at first which I kept inside my noggin. I will confess this idea has popped in there before.

Who knows what the future holds.....all I know is I miss running....i miss seeing the mommy and daddy coyotes in the empty subdivision i have trained in for the last two years....i miss seeing the red tail hawk and it's neighboring coopers hawk floating effortlessly along my flank as i jog through that area....i miss seeing the baby deer tracks on the sides of the roads...i miss the smells of farm land and trees...and i miss listening to all that wacko 70s and 80s music i grew up on along with my Christian tunes on my ipod

Sometimes we encounter hurdles.....sometimes we come up to a wall and face the decision of 'over?', 'around?', or, 'go back the way you came!' I'm not sure if what I've faced (am facing) is just a hurdle or a wall....one thing is for certain though, i'm not going back the way i came......

No comments: